Worried about missing out on your favourite foods while having orthodontic treatment? Here’s a list of what you can and can’t eat while wearing braces.
Just remember, after every meal and snack it is important that you clean your teeth, and your appliance if you’re wearing a removable one, like an Invisalign aligner or a retainer. When you’re having orthodontic treatment, your teeth need that extra bit of TLC.
Foods you can have
- Soft foods, such as scrambled eggs, pancakes, porridge and pasta
- Dairy products, like yoghurts and soft cheese
- Meat, but opt for meat balls rather than a chewy steak that you need to bite into
- Smoothies, but go for ones that don’t have berries in. The seeds can get stuck in your appliance.
- Fruit and veges – keep up your five a day, but try grating your apple, rather than biting into it, and cooking your carrots, instead of eating them raw.
Foods to avoid
- Popcorn – sorry, you’ll need to find a different snack for movie nights. Don’t crunch on the ice in your coke either!
- Hard and/or chewy sweets and toffees – these can cause real havoc to your appliances
- Sugary drinks – but we advise you to avoid these all the time anyway. They’re not good for your teeth.
- Fingernails – we’re serious. Chewing on fingernails or the end of your pen can damage your braces.
- Pizza crusts – you can still enjoy the topping through
If you have any questions about what you can and can’t eat with braces, just give our friendly team a call. They’ll be happy to answer any queries you have.